richardelatham.com | richardelatham [at] gmail [dot] com
5+ years of experience as a data scientist in consulting and manufacturing
Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, NY
M.E., Industrial and Systems Engineering
B.S., Industrial Engineering
August 2009 – August 2015.
- Methodology – Agile/Lean
- Programming Language – Python, R, SQL, VBA
- Authorship – LaTeX, PowerPoint, Project, Visio, Word
- Data – Access, Excel, Kibana, Tableau
- Graphics – GIMP
- Simulation – Arena, Simio
- Statistics – JMP, Minitab, R
- Miscellaneous – Confluence, Git, JIRA
Booz Allen Hamilton | Washington, D.C.
July 2019 – Present
- Use data analytics to proactively identify cases of fraud, waste, or abuse for a government client.
January 2017 – July 2019
- Data scientist on unstructured text, records management web application.
- Scrum master of 8 person product development and support team.
- Perform wide variety of data collection, statistical analysis, and data visualization efforts in support of the web application.
- Support team in defining requirements, user engagement, and drafting documentation.
September 2015 – December 2016
- Managed weekly dashboard of business activites.
- Tracked schedule and risk for client’s business operations.
- Developed RShiny dashboard for data exploration of historical business data.
- Developed Access web application for data exploration of unstructured text data.
Rochester Institute of Technology | Rochester, NY
May 2015 – August 2015
- Developed RShiny application that accepts a previously designed experiment and outputs a balanced augmented experimental design.
Cummins Inc. | Walton, KY
June 2013 – August 2013
- Supported six sigma project to analyze transit and cost savings of adding a new cross-dock in Western Canada for Canadian LTL shipments.
- Participated in project to reduce overflow bookings in Canadian line-haul shipments.
- Participated in project to improve carrier OTD performance.
- Designed LP spreadsheet model using Palisade DecisionTool’s Evolver to balance the optimization of outbound freight and labor at the Eastern Distribution Center. This project resulted in annual savings of >$400,000 at the distribution center.
The Raymond Corporation | Greene, NY
Toyota Production System Engineering Co-Op
December 2012 – February 2013
- Utilized lean manufacturing techniques to map the process flow of high and low volume product lines in the Raymond Greene facility.
- Took time studies and tracked inventory in preparation for a Jishuken (kaizen event) of the rail production line.
Alcore | Edgewood, MD
June 2012 – August 2012
- Assisted in setting up and troubleshooting a digital machine tool prototype utilizing Excel VBA.
- Standardized cost engineering methods by creating cost sheet template using Excel VBA.
- Fulfilled engineering change requests and assisted other engineering projects.
“Developing a Prototype Opioid Surveillance System at a 2-Day Virginia Hackathon.”
May 30, 2018
- Co-author of article in Online Journal of Public Health Informatics with Catherine Ordun, Jessica Bonnie, Jung Byun, Daewoo Chong, and Joshua Wei.
Conferences and Talks
International Society For Disease Surveillance (ISDS) Conference | Orlando, FL
January 31, 2018
- Presented “Developing a Prototype Opioid Surveillance System at a 2-Day Virginia Hackathon” with Jessica Bonnie and Catherine Ordun.
Mentored graduating seniors at the Science and Mathematics Academy in Aberdeen, MD on senior capstone projects.
“Designing a virtual pool shot probability calculator”
August 2018 – May 2019
“Developing methods of analyzing performance after injury for NFL players”
August 2017 – May 2018
“K-means clustering of in-theater movie competition to predict box office sales”
August 2016 – May 2017
Projects and Events
HHS Opioid Code-A-Thon #DataforOpioids | Washington, D.C.
December 6-7, 2017
- Hackathon with three tracks to solve the opioid epidemic from a prevention, treatment, and usage perspective.
- As part of a Booz Allen Hamilton team, worked on a web application to help users find relevant information for their area about the epidemic and what support there is in their area.
SASEHack @ Society of Asian Scientists and Engineers (SASE) Conference | Schaumburg, IL
October 13-14, 2017
- Hackathon with a focus on community health-related data.
- Helped to plan and facilitate hackathon with colleagues from Booz Allen Hamilton.
Virginia Govenor’s Datathon | Richmond, VA
September 28-29, 2017
- Hackathon on solving the opioid epidemic in the state of Virginia.
- As part of a Booz Allen Hamilton team, developed RShiny application showcasing different ways of grouping the different elements of the epidemic throughout the state.
Booz Allen Hamilton - Hackathon on Aviation | Washington, D.C.
May 20, 2017
- Facilitated internal hackathon with a focus on improving the consumer air transit experience.
#HarnessTheInternet Policy Hackathon | Washington, D.C.
November 17, 2016
- Participated in the American Libraries Association (ALA) and Internet Association’s policy hackathon entitled “Here Comes Everybody.”
- Hosted at Google DC, the focus of the event was to ideate around how to boost economic opportunity under the new administration.
Booz Allen Hamilton - Transportation Hackathon | McLean, VA
April 23, 2016
- Participated in an internal hackathon relating to smart cities, connected cars, and new technologies around the transportation sector.
Booz Allen Hamilton - Human Trafficking Hackathon | McLean, VA
February 6, 2016
- Participated in an internal hackathon with a focus on investigating human trafficking networks.
White House OSTP #MentalHealthHackathon | Washington, D.C.
December 12, 2015
- Participated in the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP) Open Data and Innovations for Suicide Prevention in Washington, D.C. hackathon.
- As part of a Booz Allen Hamilton team, developed web application mockup as a way to connect veterans with other veterans that may have similar interests in their area.
Patisserie Production Systems Improv. Project @ Wegmans Bakeshop | Rochester, NY
May 2015 - August 2015
- Graduate capstone project at RIT.
- Developed scheduling tool for Patisserie’s high volume/high mix product flow; incorporating labor, ingredient, and equipment constraints.
- Provided recommendations about potential opportunities in areas of data collection, process improvement, standard work, and visual communication tools.
Frozen Cookie Capacity Increase Project @ Wegmans Bakeshop | Rochester, NY
August 2013 - May 2014
- Senior capstone project at RIT.
- Developed automated scheduling system to satisfy required flexibility in scheduling cookie production.
- Provided recommendations on changes in standard work, changeover, and staffing.
TripSnap | Rochester, NY
- RIT 48 Hackathon Entry
- Developed demonstration of a web application to plan for waypoints during a road trip.
- Received second place prize at RIT 48 - a 48-hour hackathon hosted at the Rochester Institute of Technology.
Awards and Accomplishments
John Mack National Scholarship | Alpha Phi Omega
June 2013 & June 2014
Alpha Sigma Lambda Honorary Society
Order of the Engineer | RIT Chapter
Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineers (IISE) Student Scholarship | Rochester (NY) Chapter #44
Kate Gleason College of Engineering (KGCOE) Alumni-Endowed Scholarship | RIT
Alfred L. and Ruby C. Davis Scholarship | RIT Leadership Institute & Community Service Center
Eric Scott Senna Award | RIT Leadership Institute & Community Service Center
Dr. Dennis L. Kirkwood Award for Exceptional Work Ethic | Science and Math Academy
International Test and Evaluation Association Scholarship | Francis Scott Key Chapter